How to develop a championship team
“Fun to build, hard to maintain”
Article “Leadership by solitude”
Q: “What makes your program click?”
It is NOT the offensive or defensive scheme!
*Your program must stand for something*
Florida/Coach Meyer four points
- DEFENSE (fundamentally sound)
- BALL SECURITY
- SCORE in the RED ZONE
- SPECIAL TEAMS must be a priority
Study: When a team blocks a punt, they have won the game 90% of the time
Great Football coaches don’t get overlooked…
Too many young coaches are worried about their title, the money, what position, what level…They do this without CONVICTION or RESEARCH. They feel that they deserve it without putting in the TIME and EFFORT.
Position coaches should have a set of CORE VALUES for each position.
Coaches need to train their team for the WHAT IF moment
-PURPOSE (Spiritually, etc)
You need to make a list of ten things you are grateful for. Refer to this list when times are tough.
-PHYSICALLY (be in great shape)
To begin the process of changing the culture, you tell the players “If you are not happy, change what you are doing.”
Why do people go back to old ways? People are not prepared for the RISK and DISCOMFORT involved in making that change.
When a player is struggling, find a way for that player to succeed. It may be as simple a making a play in practice.
Are you a TEACHER or PRESENTATOR?
- CLEAR: job description
- CLEAN: They use the best available teaching tools
- CONCISE: they break it down to the smallest point/detail
- DIRECT: reflected by the ability of the player to repeat what the teacher just taught
Spend time in player development!
PROGRESSION of TEACHING
- Install on the board
- Use video examples
- Use walk throughs (Body Teach)
- Practice Individual techniques and Specific techniques
- The PLAN should be TIME TESTED.
- The PLAN should have examples.
- The PLAN should have testimonials.
- Believe in it
- Sell it over and over.
- Demand It
- You adapt your Offense and Defense, you don’t adapt yourself!