HEADER

Monday, January 20, 2020

Tempo Plays and One Word Calls In Your Offense

Tempo Plays and One Word Calls In Your Offense

Watching a Nike COY clinic video on Dana Holgerson and he said the following.


If you are fast all the time defense loves it.
If you are slow all the time defense loves it.
If you vary it, then defense not so happy......

When I was a young play caller, I had the attitude of tempo meant everything! I wanted to go fast! I wanted to run as man plays as I could, I thought it didn't really mater what I called on 1st and 2nd down, the only down where slowing it down could matter was 3rd down.  As I have progressed I can tell you that is not the same philosophy I have today! Varying tempo and knowing when to use it is important as ever.

A few years ago, I heard Neal Brown at a clinic talk about his Blur package a collection of plays that he would run to use tempo anywhere on the field. Basically, the were base plays packaged and ready to go on a moments notice.

Here is a sample of the Blur package we used in the past as HC.


Blur 1


Blur 2


Blur 3


Blur 4



One thing I wanted to do was combine Tempo with the ability to run downhill. Coach Steve Addazio said it best.



So what did we evolve to you ask?

This is a question I have answered in my new CoachTube class, named Tempo Plays and One Word Calls in Your Offense.



The ability to use one word plays to control tempo. We have about 7 or 8. We call them when most convenient for us.  If you have followed this blog, you know I am a huge fan of zone-stick. In this class I show how it became a one word play for us, where we would rotate the formation to best fit us weekly.



To find out more about our one word plays and how we use them to control the tempo in our power spread offense click here.











Make sure you have signed up for our mailing list below.




Connect on Facebook

No Huddle Tempo Practice

Our Facebook Page

SUBSCRIBE ON YOUTUBE!
TBanks
DaCoachMo
John K


Connect on Twitter

@tbanks1906
@dacoachmohuddle
@shotgunfball


No comments:

Post a Comment